The African adage, “one good turn deserves another” aptly applies to the politics of effective representation; a reward for good governance in the first instance.
Hon. Eseme Eyiboh, who represented Eket Federal Constituency of Akwa Ibom State in the House of Representatives under the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, from 2007 to 2011 quickly comes to mind.
He remains a perfect fit given the opportunity to showcase his skills and competencies.
In 2005, when he presided over the Ethical and Attitudinal Re-orientation Commission (EARCOM), under Arc.(Obong) Victor Attah’s administration as Chairman, Hon. Eyiboh turned things around using the mandate to change the perception of Akwa Ibom people towards governance in the State.
That campaign paid off as it encouraged the people to belief and show faith in the government of the day.
Beyond the EARCOM came Hon. Eseme Eyiboh again as a lawmaker in the Natıonal Assembly, where he represented the people of Eket, Onna, Esit Eket and Ibeno Local Government Areas (Eket Federal Constituency) making laws to improve the wellbeing of his people and Nigerians in general.
During the period, he was appointed Chairman, House Committee on Information, which provided him the nexus to interface with the National Assembly (House of Representatives) and Nigerians on the enactments and developments in the parliament.
Besides law making, Hon. Eyiboh performed oversight functions that let to the rejuvination of the abandoned Federal Government owned Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Eket.
Though, the tenure was short lived, there is the hope that, Hon. Eyiboh has a social contract with his people to initiate life touching development projects and human capacity buılding of the people.
Some of the programmes he initiated ranged from infrastructure, integrated Agriculture, provision of social amenities and scholarships/empowerment of constituents with skills acquisition amongst others.
For instance, the lawmaker privately funded 100 percent the constituency water projects (boreholes, overhead water tanks with generating sets) across communities his Federal Constituency.
They are; Onna LGA – Ikot Akpan Mkpe, Ndon Eyo, Ukpana and Ikot Akpatek.
Eket LGA – Effoi, Atabong Bridgehead, Ikot Udoma, Ikot Ossoh.
Esit Eket LGA – Ekpene Obo, Odoro Nkit
He initiated Train the Trainers Scheme by bringing educational volunteers from Canada, US, Botswana and South Africa through “Teachers Without Borders International” ad part of his contributions towards man-power development of teachers from the Federal Constituency at the NYSC permanent Camp in Keffi, Nassarawa State.
The programme was also 100 percent funded by Hon. Eseme Eyiboh to compliment the State Government free and compulsory educatıon in the State and 20 of the benefiting teachers were drawn from the four LGAs making the Federal Constituency.
Scholarship Programme for Beneficiaries in Tertiary Institutions:
In order to make life meaningful for Students with excellent performances, the lawmaker instituted financial grants in support of selected Students in various disciplines from the area in the
Nigerian Law School, Uniuyo,
University of Stratelyde, Uk and
University of Stratelyde, Uk.
On Integrated Agriculture Programme:
Eseme Eyiboh trained 21 youths drawn from the four Local Government Areas in the Federal Constituency under the programme at Songhai Farms Amakpe in Sapele, Delta State.
They were trained in different adpects of the programme which included; piggery mamagement, fisheries and poultry farming.
More so in sports, Hon. Eseme Eyiboh had trained and graduated some youths in his Constituency as professional football coaches from the Nigeria Institute of Sports, Lagos with 100 percent sponsorship including boarding, tuition, books, equipments were selected 3 each from the four Local Government Areas as professional coaches.
His party, PDP, as at then was npt left out in his benevolence as the lawmaker also donated equıpment and privately funded it 100 percent.
Some of the donations were; 860 pieces of plastic chairs of 20 No per ward to 43 PDP ward offices in the Federal Constituency.
Annual rent for each ward office for 43 PDP wards for 1 year, 43 pieces of writing tables for 43 PDP wards,1 No. brand new electricity generators for the 4 chapter PDP offices of Esit Eket, Onna, Ibeno and Eket local government areas.
Others are; 3nos. 500kva 33/11 electricity transformers and 3nos.500kva boxes of feeder pillars each to Atabong community in Eket , Iwochang community in Ibeno and Akpautong community in Esit Eket, 1No. computer, printer and electricity generator each to Afigh Iwaad Ekid and Mbono Uforo Mbaba Ekid amongst others.
Hon. Eseme Eyiboh during his first tenure, had also facilitated more projects in Eket Federal Constituency through the Natıonal budget from 2007 to 2011.
The Water Scheme:
He provided solar powered motorized borehole with reticulation at the following communities:
- Ikot Obong Ishiet, Awa Onna
W. Uquo – Esit Eket
- Ikot Obio Anana, Okon – Eket
- Odio – Eket
- Akpautong – Esit Eket
- Ikot Afaha – Eket
- Ikot Udo, Oniong West- Onna
- Rehabilitation and reticulation of existing water works at Ikot Obong Ishiet, Awa- Onna
- 1No. borehole with hand pump each at Esit Urua in Eket and Ntan Ide in Onna LGA.
- Reactivation and construction of Oniong Nung Ndem irrigation/drainage project, field reservoir, canals, drains, roads/ building
- Construction of poultry farm project with solar infrastructure at Nduo Eduo in Eket LGA.
- Construction of Piggery farm project with solar infrastructure at Ekpene Obo, Esit Eket LGA.
- Construction of Fishery farm project with solar infrastructure at Iwochang village in Ibeno LGA.
- Construction of Poultry farm project with solar infrastructure at Ikot Annang, Onna LGA.
- Completion process of NTA, Eket.
- Construction of ICT Skill Centres with computers, printers and accessories at
Akpautong, Esit Eket and
Afaha Atai in Eket LGA.
- Primary Health Centre, Iko Efak.
- Primary Health Centre, Uquo
- Primary Health Centre, Edor
- Primary Health Centre, Etebi
- Primary Health Centre, Okay
- Primary Health Centre, Ikot Ntan Ide.
- Primary Health Centre, Afaha Atai.
- Primary Health Centre, Ikot Nkan.
- Construction of a modern and furnished library at Upenekang, Ibeno.
- Construction of 6 classroom block with 2 offices at Esit Urua, Eket.
- Provision of books/office furniture for schools in Odio, Esit Urua and Akpautong communities.
- Construction of a skill acquisition centre at Edor, Esit Eket LGA.
- Construction of a bridge linking Ntan Ide Ikot Udo communities.
- Provision of solar street lights at Atabong bridge, Ntan Ide bridge and Uquo Secretariat Road and many more.
Given the fact that, Hon. Eyiboh had performed in his first term, he has enough capacity to bring development to his area.
That is why he is the preffered candidate for Eket Federal Constituency in 2023.
Kindly contact us @ Naijalivetv@gmail.com
Call or Whatsapp: 07035262029, 07016666694, 08129340000